Beginnings . . .
Carteret County's written history
dates back to 1525 when the barrier islands located between Ocracoke Inlet and Bogue Inlet were described as "lush,
where supplies of water, fresh meat, fish and wood could be found."
Carteret was home to the Hatteras, the Core and the Neuse
During the 1700s, small fishing villages and settlements grew
throughout the county. Areas developed around such plantations as
Shepards Point, later to be known as Morehead City.
The 1800s were a time of growth and prosperity and Morehead City,
laid out in 1857, really began to develop. It is the largest
municipality in the county.
Significant Dates in the Life of First Presbyterian Church
- Wilmington Presbytery purchased the Primitive Baptist Church, a
little frame house on the corner of 24th and Arendell Streets for a
Presbyterian Chapel. Sunday School was held weekly. Mr. J. R. Phillips
came from Pollocksville once a month to lead worship and preach.
- 1929 May 5 - First Presbyterian Church was organized with
13 petitioners and 41 charter members.
- 1931 The congregation approved changing the name of the
church to George Webb Memorial Church.
- 1933 "Women of the Church" was organized.
- 1949 "Men of the Church" was organized. The present church
property was purchased.
- 1954 The church's name was changed back to First
Presbyterian Church. Havelock Presbyterian Church was begun by this
- 1955 Ground was broken for Phase I of the new church
- 1956 July 15 - The original sanctuary (now the
administrative wing) was consecrated. Church School
continued to meet in the old "Leary House."
- 1961 June - Final payment made on Phase I. Plans for
building Phase II, the Christian Education Wing, began.
- 1963 September 5 - The Christian Education Wing was
- 1973 The new organ
donated in honor of Anne Neal Joslyn. Radio broadcasts began.
- 1975 Phase II was debt retired.
- 1976 The Meals-on-Wheels Program began.
- 1978 Participation in Student-In-Ministry (SIM) Program of
Union Theological Seminary began. The church adopted two Sunday morning
- 1979 May 5-6 - The 50th Anniversary was observed. Lot on
the corner of 16th and Bridges Streets was purchased.
- 1980 The church joined with three other churches to
sponsor Ekklesia, a retirement community. Planning began for a new
Phase III sanctuary.
- 1981 November 1
- Ground breaking for new sanctuary began.
- 1982 December 12 - First service held in new sanctuary.
- 1983 January 16 - New sanctuary dedicated. Original
sanctuary converted to use as a fellowship hall. Ekklesia completed in
June. SIM program discontinued and an Associate Pastor position
- 1984 Pipe organ contract awarded.
- 1986 March 2 - Pipe organ dedicated.
- 1987 August - Preschool program established.
- 1988 September 1 - "Women of the Church" became
"Presbyterian Women." In October Grace New Church Development in
Beaufort held first service.
- 1989 Carteret County Habitat for Humanity began with Rene'
Minshew as its first president. Children's Church established.
- 1990 Stephen Ministry began. Library refurbished and
dedicated as Ollie Stang Memorial. June 10 - Rev. Joel Cherry installed
as Associate Minister for Grace New Church Development.
- 1991 Memorial Columbarium constructed. May 19 - First
Stephen Ministry class commissioned.
- 1996 November - Sanctuary Choir attended AdventFest in
- 1997 The church joined in starting Carteret Christian
- 1998 March - "Marino Property", 1600 Arendell Street,
purchased to complete owning entire block.
- 1999 - 70th Anniversary observed. Church website
initiated. First church partnership with Habitat for Humanity
- Construction of Westminister hall approved by the session, Capital
Campaign initiated. Presbyterian Women establish 'Little Folks Attic.'
- 2001 - J.C. Harvell appointed minister of Pastoral Care.
Earth Care Alliance Group established. Dec.2 groundbreaking for new
fellowship hall, later to be named Westminster Hall.
- 2002 - First Presbyterian Church becomes involved in
Presbyterian Coffee Project.
- 2003 - Feb 9 dedication of Westminster Hall. Construction
of final phase of church renovation approved.
- 2004 - Completion of new office complex and youth room.
75th Anniversary observed. Session established position of Associate
| Register of Ministers
| Timothy J. Havlicek
| Jan. 1998 - Present
| M. René Minshew
|| Jan. 1986 - Oct. 1995
| Arthur Ross III
|| June 1975 - June 1984
| James McKinnon
|| Sept. 1970 - Nov. 1974
| Charles Kirby
|| Jan. 1959 - Feb. 1970
| Albert Harris, Jr
|| Feb. 1955 - Aug. 1958
| Priestly Conyers
|| July 1949 - Dec. 1954
| J. V. Axtell
|| May 1945 - Aug. 1948
| Kenneth Seawright
|| April 1938 - March 1944
| B. Frank Hall
|| May 1933 - Dec.1937
| Frank Johnson
|| June 1929 - Feb.1933
| Interim Minsiters
| Neil H. Bain
|| Dec. 1997
| Harold E. Hyde, Jr
|| Dec. 1996 - Nov. 1997
| Francis M. Womack, Jr
|| Nov. 1995 - Nov. 1996
| Ollie Stang
|| May 1985 - Dec. 1985
| Vance Barron
|| Sept. 1984 - April 1985
| Associate Ministers
| Bart Edwards
| 200 - 2012
| Pamela Eliason
|| Jan. 1993 - March 1995
| Joel Cherry
|| April 1990 - July 1991
| Ron Leigh
|| Jan. 1987 - March 1989
| Interim Associate Ministers
| Lois Lehman
|| Sept. 1992 - Jan. 1993
| Parish Associate
| Peter R. Hale
|| May 2004 - Present